Friday, February 17, 2006

Of Hymns and Grace

Many of the GFA interns and young staff gathered for an informal fellowship time with one of our staff families this evening. We played ping-pong and board games and Chinese Checkers and then the music started. The kitchen was occupied by three guitars and the sounds of praise choruses while the corner of the living room was claimed by six of us and two hymnals. We covered the works - from "I'll Fly Away" and "Higher Ground" to "The Church's One Foundation" and "And Can it Be?" Such the joy and reminders in those old hymns!

Wondful the matchless grace of Jesus, greater than all my sin.
How shall my tongue describe it? Where shall it's praise begin?
Taking away my burden, setting my spirit free;
Oh the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus;
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea.
Higher than the mountain, sparkling like a fountain,
All sufficient grace for even me.
Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
Greater far than all my sin and shame.
Oh magnify the blessed name of Jesus,
Praise His Name!

No comments: