Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Me getting better.

I'm getting over the sick, but still struggling with a cough and a bit of a headache today. Probably due to a couple late nights.

Had a great time with the Lowry's and the Helms' on Monday night. Papa Murphy's pizza, the Helms' four kids, great fellowship, and a good time of sharing. Very much fun!

A. Lowry is here in the Dallas area getting special contacts for her eyes. When I saw her Tuesday afternoon, she was jumping up and down with excitement. She hadn't seen that well since she was in junior high! PLEASE PRAY for the continued fine tuning for the contacts and for complete healing for her eyes. They are really bad.

Me knows grammar. I know - my use of the word "me" recently has been astonishingly rampant. I'm not even using it to refer to one of my favorite friends. (i.e. Me has moved. I hope Me gets unpacked at her new place soon.)

I know. My grammar is getting worse with time, but I have a question for my grammatical friends to answer.

The light bulb in your kitchen light fixture burns out. You comment on it, saying:
a) That light bulb needs replaced.
b) That light bulb needs to be replaced.
c) That light bulb needs replacing.

Which would you normally say and which is grammatically correct?

1 comment:

J said...

B would be the correct answer.

In C, "replacing" is an ongoing event, not a one-time thing.

Ultimately, the "replaced" or "to be replaced" is modifying the verb. The only things that can modify a verb are an adverb or a phrase. "replaced" isn't an adverb, so in order for it to modify a verb, it needs to be placed in a phrase.

Now, I've got a bunch of white sand, beach front property in North Dakota that you might.....