Monday, December 06, 2010

SO not creative!

Okay.  I admit.  I'm blogging because I'm procrastinating.  I've got a bad case of writer's block on our Christmas letter, so I figured I'd come unblock my writer's block on my blog instead.  You know, it's amazing how fast I can get creative on a Christmas letter when I'm procrastinating something else.  I guess I just need to find something else to procrastinate.  I think the problem is that I've procrastinated everything for so long that I'm feeling slightly guilty about 75% of the things I should be working on.

I made a list for today!  I got three out of the six things done.  But one of them got really complicated and I would really like to un-complicate it.  Unfortunately, I think me trying to un-complicate it is going to complicate it further.  I think the correct answer is: pray.  I keep being like King Ahaz and trying to do things in my own power when God says, "wait and I'll take care of it."  Wait?  You're kidding, right, Lord?  I have to wait?

Here is the first intro to the Christmas letter, but I thought maybe it was too long, so I scrapped it.  But it does speak to what I've been learning from the Lord.  Enjoy!

I was glancing through Isaiah (ch 7) several weeks ago when I came across the story of King Ahaz when the country he was ruling (Judah) was being attacked by Israel.  He had plans to do things his own way (hire the Assyrians to fight off Israel for him), but God sent the prophet Isaiah with a message and then God personally spoke to King Ahaz saying, “Look!  It's going to be okay!  Ask me – I'll give you a sign, any sign!”  (Dorinda's paraphrase)  King Ahaz (determined to do things his own way) said, “Uh--no!”  And God gave him a sign anyway – the familiar promise that we remember each Christmas.

Isaiah 7:14:  “The Lord Himself shall give you a sign. Behold, a virgin shall be with child and shall bring forth a son and she will call his name Immanuel – God with us.”

What a beautiful promise God has given us!  As this new year approaches, may we purpose anew to be dependent on the Lord (and remember His promises and provision!) instead of depending on our own ways and understanding.

No comments: