Thursday, September 30, 2010

Random Writings - Completed!

Recently, I posted a narrative that I had written several years back and never finished.  I had stopped mid-sentence - just before quoting the illustrious Diane DeFranco-Kling. I invited my readers to come up with an ending and one of my friends did!  Emily knew me from our days as part of GFA's School of Discipleship and composed this ending.  Thankfully, she said I could share it with you.  Here's the original post.


Staring at the eight inch gap between my fingers and my toes, I was reminded of Diane's words in Mime and Stage Movement. . .

"In the act of miming, the goal is to fill in the empty spaces and imagine what you and your audience can't see. . .and make it real for them."

I thought it was kinda random that I was reminded of that particular piece of miming advice at that particular moment. Perhaps my subconscious was trying to imagine that the space between my fingers and the tips of my shoes wasn't there. But, glancing at my watch and at the gathering clouds, I saw that I didn't have much time to think about it. So, I got back up and huffed back to the apartment.

Still a little grumpy that my "count-your-blessings" exercise (along with my morning jog) had met with less than success, I sat down with my Bible for morning devotions, fully intending to complain to Jesus at least a little.

The reading for the day was from Hebrews 11. As I was half-heartedly reading through the chapter (still thinking about Kansas), I came to verses 13-15: "All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised, they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. . .If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."

I sat there for a few moments, letting the verses echo through my mind. "If they had been thinking of the country they had left...longing for a better country....God is not ashamed to be called their God...." Obviously, God had been reading my thoughts.

I can take a hint.

So, I'll keep running here in Texas. Fixing my eyes on Jesus.

Reaching out and touching what I can't see--eternity.

Imagining when the space between me and heaven won't be there anymore.

Longing for a better country--one even better than Kansas.

No comments: